Easterein has a beautiful original village structure with the fourteenth-century Martini Church on the large ‘terp’ (artificial dwelling mound) in the middle of the village. The former rectory, 1861, lies next to the imposing church. Much of the original 19th century landscape garden is still present: a garden to walk through ‘for relaxation and the resistance of the senses’, a vegetable garden and a horse pasture. The landscaped garden, designed by Gerrit Vlaskamp in 1863, still has all the features of the landscape style: old winding paths, small differences in height and more than a century-old solitary trees.
In the lawn the ordinary Snowdrop and the double Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis ‘Flore Pleno’), the Winter Aconite, the Dutch Crocus (Crocus vernus) and Tomasini’s crocus (Crocus tommasinianus) the Spring Snowflakes and the Snake’s head fritillary are blooming. Along the canal the Bluebells are blooming as well as the Italian Lords-and-Ladies and Bear’s garlic.
The vegetable garden with historic espaliered fruittrees, is also moated. The horse pasture is located northwest of the rectory. The garden is a by now rare example of the original church-historical situation, namely the self-supporting position of the rectory, due to the presence of a kitchengarden, orchard and a pleasure garden.
8734 GX in Easterein
Groups by appointment (at least 8 people)
Open garden. Info website.
Sufficient parking space near the sports hall, about 50 meters from the rectory.